Planning / Zoning


Norwood Town Hall
116 South Main Street
PO Box 697
Norwood, NC 28128

Phone: (704) 474-3416
Fax: (704) 474-3201

Zoning Officer

Virgil Hinson serves as Norwood’s Zoning Officer. As Zoning Officer, Mr. Hinson assists citizens with property rezoning, zoning text amendments, variance applications, nuisance ordinance violations, conditional use permits, and various other zoning and compliance issues. The Town of Norwood contracts with the County of Stanly for Code Enforcement.

Zoning Board of Adjustments

The Norwood Zoning Board of Adjustments meets the second Monday of every month at 7:00 PM at the Norwood Town Hall, 116 South Main Street. The Zoning Board of Adjustment a quasi-judicial Board governed by North Carolina General Statute ยง160A-388 that is authorized to hear and decide on appeals from the decisions of administrative officials charged with enforcement of the Norwood Zoning Ordinance, and can also issue variances, conditional or special use permits. Norwood’s Zoning Board of Adjustments is comprised of six members and two alternates. Norwood’s Zoning Board of Adjustments also has authority outside of the corporate limits in an area known as the ETJ, or extraterritorial jurisdiction. This is an area that extends up to one mile beyond the corporate limits of Norwood.

Planning Board

The Norwood Planning Board meets at the same time as the Norwood Zoning Board of Adjustments, following the closure of the Board of Adjustments session. The Planning Board is charged with reviewing amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and subdivision plats and making recommendations to the Norwood Town Council.

Currently, the Zoning Board of Adjustments and Planning Board Members are:
Linda Clontz, Chair
Betty Harrison, Vice Chair
Gail Shields
Alice Ridenhour
Richard Lilly
Wes Hartsell
Eddie Funderburk

At this time, the Board of Adjustments and Planning Board are in need of two representatives from the ETJ, to serve on the Boards. Anyone interested in volunteering should call Zoning Officer Virgil Hinson at (704) 474-3416.